1. Telepathique - Sao Paulo, Brazil does it again with electro-rocker's Mylene and Theobaldo (aka DJ Periferico). This duo is trying to follow in the successful footsteps of CSS while carving out a few danceable details along the way. Listen to: Sex Drugs & Funk-n-Roll (mp3)
2. Lazarus - Trevor Montgomery has a voice that is really undeniable, and a member of Papercuts he doesn't always get his moment to shine. However, in Lazarus we get a full and dark dose of Trevor, and we are allowed to fully enjoy the moment. Their latest release "Hawk Medicine" is now available on Temporary Residence Limited.This is Lazarus first album written as a group and the result is something to be proud of. Listen to: The Sky of The Tall Sun (mp3)
3. Bottomless Pit - This is a newly formed band here in Chicago, and they put together a great release for the brand new label Comedy Minus One. Bottomless Pit was formed by ex-Silkworm members Tim Midgett and Andy Cohen, and longtime friends Chris Manfrin (Seam) and Brian Orchard (.22). Their debut "Hammer of the Gods" will be released on November 6th. Listen to: The Cardinal Movement (mp3)
1. "Lifelike Baby Girls" by Jeff Landon - This is from the Summer edition of the Mississippi Review, and it is an interesting yet somewhat scary look into the mind of a high school girl.
2. "Yes" by Victoria Hannan - Oh my, I think my heart stopped for a second.
3. "America’s Guardian Myths" by Susan Faludi - This is an interesting piece about post-9-11 American values.
1. C.W. Stoneking T-Shirts - Yes that right folks, buy your very own C.W. Stoneking T-Shirt right here on Myspace. Printed on top quality American Apparel T-Shirts, and featuring the wonderful artwork of famed Amsterdam tattooed lady Angelique Houtkamp, the gypsy fortune teller warns..."Don't go dancin' down the Darktown Strutter's Ball"... There'll be trouble alright if you don't get yourself one of these beauties - Please specify size ( S, M, L, XL) AND if you want a Mens or Womens T-Shirt - $40
2. Manatee Sniffing Cake/Fish Sniffing Squid by Tao Lin - WHAT IS THIS? IT IS A TWO-SIDED THING OF PEOPLE SNIFFING THINGS, IT IS A LITTLE BIT POP-UP AND I WROTE MY NAME AND DATED IT UNDER THE MANATEE'S ASS - $7.89 (currently)
1. Sonic Scope Quarterly Issue #10 "Paint it Black": The entire issue, covering art and photography is in black & white. It is a very interesting concept.
2. Goon #23 - Goon is a German Zine that is always publishing the highest content and nicest graphics. This month the feature Miranda July on the cover and also discuss the band Menomena. So if you can read German or would like to try check it out.
3. A New Paper Toy from Marshall Alexander - It looks like Marshall is going to make this a monthly thing, and I say keep them coming!
1. Water Breaths: Gisela Insuaste at Northeastern Illinois University Fine Arts Gallery August 27 - October 5, 2007
2. Fixed Gear: (Kim Frieders) TONIGHT! Parts and Labor Collective presents over 20 local artists in Fixed Gear. This is my second show with Parts and Labor, who will be celebrating their one year anniversary soon. The space is a classic studio loft, and draws a substantial art crowd. I'm showing 5 smallish works and maybe a medium-to-large piece if there's enough room. Bring some libations! See the flyer or my exhibition page for details.
3. Intersections: A Reading From the Streets from RAGAD Quimby’s Bookstore: Saturday Sept. 22 with local writers Ben Tanzer (Lucky Man), Pete Coco, Scott Stealey, C.T. Ballentine, and Nick Ostdick.
1. Miles J Bell encore performance with "In Line at The Baker's"
2. "Spiked Milkshakes" with Pigeon John from Dinner with the Band
3. A Place to Bury Strangers "To Fix the Gash in Your Head" (I could seriously listen to this song all day!)