Sunday, May 11, 2008

Orange Alert's Music Minute



Tigers with limbs holding hearts and kicking snakes... what else could that be but the new cover from Sunny Day Sets Fire's debut album Summer Place (IAMSOUND, July 8th). The craziness of the cover might be a reflection of the band eclectic background. Combining Italy, Hong Kong, UK, Canada can be a complex cocktail. The album will be released on July 8th, but the label decide to release digital version to itunes and emusic this past week to avoid the dreaded leak.

Listen to: Brainless (mp3)


As you may have heard, Black Kids have recently signed with Columbia Records. Here's the deal: Black Kids have signed to Columbia (where they join MGMT, the Gossip, Ting Tings, and more) for North America, and Almost Gold for the rest of the world. Their full-length album, Partie Traumatic, will be released in North America July 22nd, and the rest of the world, July 7th. Black Kids are currently on tour with Cut Copy, dates below.

May 5 - Omaha, NE at Waiting Room*
May 6 - Minneapolis, MN at 7th Street Entry*
May 7 - Chicago, IL at The Abbey Pub*
May 8 - Detroit, MI at Magic Stick*
May 9 - Toronto, ON at Lees Palace*
May 12 - Boston, MA at Paradise*
May 13 - Brooklyn, NY at Studio B*
May 15 - Washington, DC at Black Cat*
May 16 - Philadelphia, PA at Pure*
May 17 - Baltimore, MD at Sonar*
May 18 - New York, NY at Bowery Ballroom
*with Cut Copy

Black Francis (aka Frank Black) is back with a new seven song, mini-LP entitled Svn Fngrs, available now from Cooking Vinyl Records. It is not only is this a new release from a indie rock legend, but it is the orangest cover I've seen so far this year and that counts for a lot in my book.

Black Francis with Stone Temple Pilots

6/24/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
6/25/08 - Tucson, AZ - Anselmo Valencia Amphitheatre
6/27/08 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
6/28/08 - Woodlands, TX - Woodlands Pavilion
6/29/08 - Grand Prairie, TX - Nokia Live
7/2/08 - Denver, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre
7/4/08 - Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest

Listen to: The Seus (Infadels Remix) (mp3)



A band that needs no introduction, but a cover that may need some explanation. They have a legacy, a brilliant catalog of music, and a new album Red Carpet Massacre (itunes) (Epic Records).


Watch the video for "Nite-Runner"


DURAN DURAN TOUR DATES
May 6 - Dodge Theatre - Phoenix, AZ
May 8 - Valley View - San Diego, CA
May 9 - The Joint - Las Vegas, NV
May 10 - The Joint - Las Vegas, NV
May 12 - Wells Fargo Theatre - Denver, CO
May 14 - Rosemont Theatre - Chicago, IL
May 15 - Masonic Temple Theatre - Detroit, MI
May 16 - Summit City - Whitesburg, KY
May 17 - Chastain Park Amphitheater - Atlanta, GA
May 18 - UCF Arena - Orlando, FL
May 19 - Mizner Park Amphitheatre - Boca Raton, FL
May 21 - Koka Booth Amphitheatre - Raleigh, NC
May 22 - Mann Center for the Performing Arts - Philadelphia, PA
May 24 - Atlantis - Paradise Island (Bahamas)
May 27 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD
May 28 - Agganis Arena - Boston, MA
May 30 - Central Park Summerstage - New York City, NY
May 31 - Central Park Summerstage - New York City, NY



cllct.com Musician of the Week: Patrick Ripoll

Here is a new weekly feature for you, each week I am going to select a different member of the excellent community over at cllct.com. I am starting with Patrick Ripoll, not only because I enjoy and respect his music, but because he handed me a hard copy of Praise The Lord several weeks ago.

Patrick is a man of many talents, on Praise the Lord he flexes his punk-folk scream n' strum, but on Disorient he twists the knobs and layers the samples and mashes the tracks. He is a punk-folk-DJ! A person who is down for sampling Dinosaur Jr. is cool in my book.

Listen to: The Big Furry Monster (mp3)

Back to Praise the Lord, the album opens with a shouting trash can banging near Public Image Limited sing/chant. I stand shocked, but smiling. The album is mostly acoustic, but not at all laid back. Patrick strum aggressively while he asks all of the questions that most people wonder on a daily basis... "What wrong with me?", "Why don't I fit in?", "Why won't she smile at me?", etc. The highlight of album for is the personal track "Generation". "I ain't no friend with no Kimya Dawson replacement"... classic!

Listen to: Generation (mp3)


The Peel Back: Squirrel Nut Zippers "The Inevitable" (Fontana Mammoth, 1995)

In my life I have gone through many different musical phases. When I was younger they each had their own distinct period in time, and now I draw on each of them fondly. There was heavy metal, hip hop, Christian rock, alternative, punk, electronica, industrial, grunge, swing, jazz, and many more. There was one time when I only wanted to watch Swing Kids and listen to Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday/Cab Calloway, Mel Torme (I shook the man's hand once), and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

The Inevitable only validated my obsession. If anyone ever questioned my interest "If it's good enough for Granddad, then it's good enough for me" was my reply. This was new swing, I no longer was only listening to music that 40+ years old. I wanted a zoot suit, a pocket watch, I wanted to be hep to the jive. I ignored anything that was not jazz for at least three years. One calm Chicago night I ventured out to the Park West to finally experience this Hot band in person. Gorilla suits, mardi gras bead, and swing dancing filled the classy club as I (wishing I could swing) watched in amazement. Half way through the show band stopped to introduce each other, and the words "our special guest tonight right here from Chicago... Andrew Bird on Violin" still ring in my ear. Magical!

Lovers Lane/Danny Diamond/I've Found a New Baby (mp3)/Anything But Love/Good Enough For Granddad (mp3)/Wished for You/La Grippe/Lugubrious Whing Whang/Club Limbo/Wash Jones/You're Drivin' Me Crazy/Plenty More

No comments: