Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Artist of the Week


Steph Chard

There are multiple layers of beauty contained in a portrait. On a basic level you have the beauty of the person in the picture. This is the most noticeable and quite often the first thing people see. The next layer is (as in any painting) the combinations of the colors. The process of creating the background of a portrait can be more interesting at times then the figure itself. Finally, for me the focal point of any portrait has to be the eyes. The eyes reveal an inner beauty that you would not expect to see in a painting. Many times (as in life) the eyes really tell the story of the painting and the subject.

The eyes of the subjects is Australian artist Steph Chard's paintings speak volumes. Currently, Steph is working exclusivly with portraits. I say currently because at 19 she has plenty of time and ability to concur many different styles and schools of art. She is also in the process of obtaining her degree in Art, and gained recognition last year when she painted a portrait of the Queen out of Vegemite. This month she of the featured artists over at Creep Machine, along side and Orange Alert favorite Winston Chmielinski.

Recently, Steph was kind enough to answer a few of my questions.

Orange Alert (OA): How would you describe your work?
Steph Chard (SC): The majority of my work is inspired by fashion and beauty. I love creating work with the impression of glamour and style. I treat every painting I do as a personal reflection and through these portraits I am able to convey an emotion that I may not be able to otherwise.

The technique for my paintings has been particularly influenced by the French Impressionism. My greatest inspiration has come from artists such as Degas and Toulouse-Latrec.



OA: You have gained some notoriety for the painting you did using Vegemite. In an age of mixed media and various types of paints and tools, do you feel that the materials (i.e. type of paint or canvas) used in a painting have a big impact on the outcome?
SC: It's easy to be lost in the crowd in this industry so experimentation with different media gives you a good chance to stand out. But saying that, working in whatever medium you choose and doing it well will give you attention whatever it is. I don't think somebody doesn't like a particular work just because the materials have been used before. I think originality with the way you use them is the key.

OA: Do you work with a set color pallet? Are you aware of the emotions that certain colors may evoke in the viewer while you are painting?
SC: I don't normally work with a set pallet. I'm very flexible concerning that because I don't like to restrict myself. To be honest every colour I put down is there because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm aware of the emotions involved with each colour and that does influence my choices somewhat.

OA: As a relatively young artist, what do you hope to accomplish with your work (i.e. goals, visions, dreams, etc)?
SC: I'd like to continue selling and exhibiting my works. I'm studying art in Australia at the moment but hope to continue overseas one day in the future. I love the sound of London or New York. I think they'd be an amazing place to be as an artist.

My ultimate goal is to be well-known enough to have an "-ism" named after me: Chardism. Hmm, has a nice ring to it doesn't it? haha.



OA: I've heard you have a piece hanging in the home of Perez Hilton. How did that happen? Why did you paint a picture of Mr. Hilton?
SC: I painted the picture of Perez firstly because I'm a HUGE fan of his. Secondly, to have a piece of artwork of mine in his collection I thought would be pretty cool. That was my little plan. I sent a picture of it over to Perez and he wrote back asking to buy it from me. Can't believe it worked.

OA: What's next for Steph Chard?
SC: When I've finished my art degree I'm hoping to get a job in the industry somewhere or at least be involved in the arts some way or another. My goal at the moment is to continue creating and developing my art to its maximum potential. But really, who knows? I could never have predicted my journey to now.



Bonus Questions:
OA: Do you drink coffee? What is the coffee like in Australia? What is your favorite beverage to drink with Vegemite?
SC: I love coffee - but it has to be from Starbucks! Compliments a Vegemite sandwhich quite nicely. :)

OA: Do you listen to music while you paint? Who are some of your favorites?
SC: Listening to music as I'm painting is essential. My favourite band at the moment is an awesome aussie band, Eskimo Joe.

For more information on Steph Chard or to purchase one of her pieces please visit her myspace or check out her deviantART site.

No comments: