Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Artist of the Week

Constance K.

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." - Ansel Adams

I imagine this could be said about any art form, but with a photograph perception plays a major role. The viewer is asked to look deep into the eyes of the subject and in a way put themselves into the image. The viewer can repeatedly search the image and find their own meaning and thought. The photographer is charged with the mission of controlling nature, and roping in images that show emotion and energy. It is the eye of the photographer that can trigger the connection between the viewer and subject and themselves all at once.

Chicago's Constance K. may claim that it is a case of right place at the right time, but it is clear when you look at her photos that she has that eye. She has the ability to capture a moment, a look, a sense of joy or style, or whatever she sees. Gaining some recent notoriety through her relationship with the hip hop duo The Cool Kids, she has build upon this success and found a home in Chicago's hip hop underground. Yet her every growing portfolio spans the spectrum from innocence to humorous to the structure and glamor of fashion. She is sharing her unique vision of Chicago with the world, and having a great time in the process.

Recently, Constance was kind enough to answer a few of my questions.



Orange Alert (OA): Let start with the hardest question first, what do you look for in a shot (i.e. lighting, setting, natural or prosed, etc)?
Constance K. (CK): I look for character in my surroundings and depending on the individual I will choreograph them to be as natural as can be however some staged expressions work...I feel when you are in natural light you are at your most natural state.. the sun is shining on you, and your soul shines through!

OA: What is the best location in the city to take pictures?
CK: Hmmm if I disclose that it won't be the best...those places where you find yourself alone give me the most inspiration...but if I must say it has to be anywhere on the shore...Almost every person I have photographed there felt something and was able to convey that through they're eyes. If your eyes don't look interested then it must not be an interesting place.




OA: Do you prefer black & white vs. color? Do you feel black & white offers a more artistic feel? CK: I love both...it just depends on the subject and how it makes you feel...a colleague of mine suggested that all photos of children be in color...and I asked why..he told me that they are true and honest in color...and I realized he knows what he's talking about...because he is also my web designer...so I trust his opinion. You know if you feel that your composition will be more flattering in a certain color or tone..you have to trust your instinct.




OA: How did you get involved with Chicago's hip hop scene? Are you surprised at all by the success of The Cool Kids? Has there success helped you in anyway?
CK: There is this saying...the right place the right time...that's me and The Cool Kids...when they started I was there...we grew together and I most certainly believe they are successful because they are talented charming young men that had hope and with that hope comes success. So I am not surprised but proud and happy that my friends are creative individuals that make kids all over the world happy...and I think that's all they wanted to do. I wouldn't be exactly where I am without them and vice a versa... My affiliation with them has definitely opened the doors for me to meet and work with other wonderful talent here in Chicago that I may not have had the opportunity to.


OA: Do you feel Chicago offers enough gallery space to photographers? Do you look to show you work in galleries or are you more focused in other areas?
CK: I honestly do not know because I am not looking for a space to show...someday I would like to...but in order for me to do that I must feel I have a complete story to show and I am in the process of doing that.

OA: What's next for Constance K.?
CK: Good question...let me know when you find out!



Bonus Questions:
OA:
Coffee? If yes, where can you find the best cup in Chicago?
CK: Coffee...YES and you don't know anything until you have had a Frappe...which is Greek iced coffee. go to Cafe Iguana-Grand and Halsted....order one sweet with milk!

OA: We know you photograph hip hop artists, but what type of music do you enjoy personally? CK: The kids on the streets call me dancing machine or dancing queen...so my music of choice is disco and funk!



For more information on Constance K. please visit her website.

1 comment:

lu said...

you rock constance! cause mimi says so.

lupe & mimi