Monday, December 31, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
I just wanted to thank everyone for a wonderful year full of quality interviews and hopefully a few new discoveries. I have made a lot of new friends this past year, who without them Orange Alert would not be the same. Thank you to every one who contributed this year and to everyone who stopped by to read. I will return in one week with new interviews and new many things to share.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
8. Sexton Blake - Plays The Hits! (7/07) Listen to: Bette Davis Eyes (mp3) A cover album in the 10 top! Yes, it is that good.
6. Yea Big & Kid Static - Yea Big & Kid Static (10/07) Listen to: The Life Here (mp3) Honestly, the most complete hip-hop album in the last few years.
5. Page France - ... And The Telephone (5/07) Listen to: Mr. Violin and The Dancing Bear (mp3) Michael Nau does it again, spinning riddles into puzzles, struggling and trusting at every turn, but keeping the listening memorized with his complex stories.
4. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala (10/07) Listen to: Postcards to Nina (mp3) Some have said this is not his best work, but I tend to disagree. Pop tunes with a magical crooner, what could be better?
2. Canon Blue - Colonies (10/07) Listen to: Pilguin Pop (mp3) Daniel James has released an honest album filled with electronic pop/folk music.
Saturday, December 22, 2007
9. Grizzly Bear - Friend Listen to: Knife (Covered by CSS) (mp3)
8. Wild Sweet Orange - The Whale Listen to: Wrestle With God (mp3)
4. Venna - Venna Listen to: Eulogy (mp3)
3. Illinois - What the hell do I know? Listen to: Screendoor (mp3)
2. The Vandelles - The Vandelles Listen to: Lovely Weather (mp3)
1. (me)shach Jackson - Expirements in Drowning Listen to: Smile (mp3)
9. CiCi's Macaroni Pizza: By far my favorite restaurant this year was CiCi's Pizza. This is an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet, with quality, diverse pizzas and plentiful deserts. They always have a few vegetarian pizzas out, and among them my favorite is the Macaroni pizza.
8. Redbox: This year I found Redbox, and it has consumed my weekends ever since. You can order on-line and pickup your movie at the closest box to your house. It is fast, cheap and very convenient.
7. Snapple Water: 2007 saw a complete redesign of the Snapple product line. My obsession (and label collection) goes back to middle school, and I have tried to have at least one of every type of Snapple ever produced. This year they released (among other items) a line of antioxidant water, and I could not have been more pleased.
5. Guerilla Poetics Project: What a noble mission! A group of writers charged with the goal of promoting the small press. Producing several broadsides (2 month to be exact) this year, GPP operatives take the material and hide them inside soon-to-be purchased books around the world.
4. Matt & Kim's encore performance: A late addition to the 2007 Lollapalooza line-up, Matt & Kim were schedule early on Day 2. Way too early for the suburban folks (especially those who are forced to work Saturday morning) to make it in time to catch the performance. Disappointed but anticipating the Cold War Kids performance, an announcement is made that CSS will not be able to make it due to flight issues. However, Matt & Kim have offered to play another set instead. After Cold War the crowd thins, I grab a spot right in front and Matt & Kim bring forth the most energetic show of the weekend. I appreciated their music before that day, but walked away a life long fan!
3. Lucky Man: Ok maybe the book itself did not change my life (not yet at least), but it has allowed me to get to know the author a little better. Working on the site this past year, I have started many novels and chapbooks. Aside from the chapbooks, "Lucky Man" is the only one I have read cover to cover. It is a fast paced journey following four friends through young adulthood with twists and laughs all the way. Ben's promotional video's have also been one of my favorite things to watch this year.
2. Literary Journals Galore: A list within a list? Why not!
1. THE2NDHAND - Hometown feel with obscenely good material.
2. Ragad - Nick you are my hero!
3. Thieves Jargon - Proud member of the crew. Art Editor has such a nice ring to it.
4. decomP - Awaiting the return and unveiling of the all new decomP in February. You never know who might be involved.
5. Please Don't - New to the world of on-line lit this year, but I anticipate big things in 2008. I mean Sommerville and Messinger in the inaugural issue, oh my!
Friday, December 21, 2007
19. Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass (8/07) Listen to: Coffee (mp3)
18. Tunng - Good Arrows (9/07) Listen to: Bullets (mp3)
17. Karl Blau - Dance Positive (5/07) Listen to: Heatherwood (mp3)
16. Hot Springs - Volcano (9/07) Listen to: Headrush (mp3)
15. Beruit - The Flying Club Cup (10/07) Listen to: Cliquot (mp3)
14. Panda Bear - Person Pitch (3/07) Listen to: Comfy in Nautica (mp3)
13. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (1/07) Listen to: Chemicals (mp3)
12. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum (5/07) Listen to: Sun Lips (mp3)
11. The National - Boxer (5/07) Listen to: Squalor Victoria (mp3)