Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Artist of The Week


William Bryant (a.k.a. Sir W. Woods)

When in college, the artistic aspects of most people are brought to the forefront, and a lot of experimentation and trial and error takes places. Many individuals try their hand at writing, painting, or any number of artistic avenues, but many times it is merely a momentary release on the their way to whatever their true calling may be. However, in the case of William Bryant, who is currently attending Mississippi State University, this is not the case. While attending the various art classes and workshops at school he has discovered his true calling. One of his pieces was recently featured over at Brooklyn Vegan, and he is currently working on several other projects while completing his degree. Fortunately, he was able to take some time out to answer a few of our questions on art, music, and U-Haul's.

Orange Alert (OA): How would describe your style of art?
William Bryant (WB): pseudo-tribal flirting with hyper psych-del wanna be outsider mixed with healthy serving of crude creepy light-hearted experimental post-apocolyptic seasoning. That should do it?

OA: Who are some of your biggest influences artistically?
WB: Mike Perry, Kate Bingaman-Burt and her husband Clifton Burt, Brent Funderburke, Dave & Abby Portner, THINKMULE, M. Sasek, Henry Darger, Stanley Donwood and Ray Fenwick are just a few.



OA: Music seems to play a major role in a lot of your pieces. Can you talk about this relationship and who are some of you favorite musicians currently?
WB: Music became a huge part of my life in high school. Over the years having savvy friends, visiting Good Records in Dallas, and the internet shaped my taste in music. And music has become an important influence in art and in making art. It's hard for me to think visually without it. But creation has to be my greatest influence. Currently, Animal Collective is my favorite band. Dave Portner & Noah Lennox have gots it going on! pure gold. I'm excited about all their upcoming works along with new albums from Architecture in Helsinki and my good friends Pilotdrift. Also, I've started getting down & dirty with older projects like Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, The Zombies, Vashti Bunyan & The Kinks. I'm behind on the grate, I mean great bands of ye olden times. Other current loves include Derek Webb, Grizzly Bear, Devendra & friends, YACHT, Peter and the Wolf, Akron/Family, The Dodos, Of Montreal, Brightblack Morning Light, Islands....there are a lot! Maybe this should be a separate interview? I just love this band and that band. This band has amazing artwork, this band makes me laugh, that band has killer hand drawn type, those dudez make me get my groove on and so forth.


OA: I love the concept of the U-haul show, have you had any other shows? Can people purchase any of your work at this time?
WB: Thanks! i really enjoyed that u-haul show. It wasn't part of my grade, I just wanted a gallery space. I put a lot of hours into the work and the installation and even the playlist. But, I haven't really had any other shows, although i hope to have more very soon! And yes, people can purchase just about anything from me. I'll sell my art, shoes i don't wear often, cinnamon tooth picks, and even magic. It would all have to take place via cybermail. Hopefully next semester i will have a website so people could better view my work and perhaps make purchases in more of an official manner.

OA: How has your experience at Mississippi State affected you as an artist?
WB: I will have to say that my experience at Mississippi State has made me an artist. It has defined me in drawing, painting, graphic design, and especially in typography. I took an art class in 8th & 9th grades, but I didn't really find myself to be an artist until I started college at Mississippi State in 2004. The Art Department/Graphic Design at MSU is outstanding! There are some rad profs here.

OA: What's next for William Byrant?
WB: Well, I have 3 more semesters of school. I plan to do more freelance illustration, perform dj sets as The Hooded Deer, drink lots of water, begin to dabble with web & video art projects, figure out my artist identity (maybe W. Woods) AND get engaged to my lady!


Bonus Questions:
OA: Coffee? If yes, what is your favorite type of coffee and where is your favorite coffee spot?WB: Yes, i like it black. I like to think of myself as a cowboy in that way.

OA: What was the last great book that you read?
WB: My wonderful girlfriend suggested I read "Bridge to Terabithia." I loved it! Such a great story. I'm still struggling to become a major league reader. The attention span is an issue.

For more information on William Bryant visit his flickr site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, his shtuff is teeeight!

Anonymous said...

William..congratulations....i'm so impressed....my heart is full....you have what it takes....you will go so far....sgabbie